Wednesday 8 October 2014

Thirty Days of Painting: Day 1

Breaking the perfectionism

I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Not much, but just a bit. Enough to make me feel self conscious about having a blog about my creations, anyway. And, sometimes, if I don't have a finished artwork, one that looks good, that's world changing or good enough that it might be shown at the Met, the Louvre and the Guggenheim whilst people are pirating it and selling mugs of it on eBay, I don't feel like it's worth painting.
This is something I need to get over, because as a learner artist, that is everything I create. What's detrimental about this mindset is that it doesn't give me mistake room. If it's not good enough, I don't show it, I don't learn, I don't try new things.
This must stop. Now.
So, for the next thirty days, I will be posting small paint experiments to get the artistic juices flowing, to force me to move forward.
Bare with me, Okay?

Day 1: Cling wrap relief texture.

Easily done - apply a single wash of watercolour, grab some cling wrap, scrunch it up a bit, then place it over the top until dry.

I was going for something I could use for a random marble effect, but I don't think it'll do. Probably better used for a cracked look, where a painting or a wall has started to peal away and expose the board underneath.

Stay tuned in for tomorrow's painting experiment!


No comments:

Post a Comment