Friday 17 July 2015

Successful First Exhibition

Last night was my first exhibition. All my friends came late (I may have given them the wrong time,) I was sick with an ear infection, and I didn't win any encouragement awards, but I count it as a success.

A picture taken by a lovely friend of mine of me being proud of my unframed artworks, and hoping that the artist of the painting below them won't sue me.


One of my favourite local artists was there, and I told him which of the paintings were mine. I just so happened to be in view of him when he looked at my paintings, yet out of earshot, so my commentary sounded a little like this:
"He's walking towards my paintings.
Look at my paintings.
Do it.
Looook at them!
YES! He's looking at them!
OH MY GOSH HE POINTED AT THEM.
HE SMILED AT THEM.
HE DOUBLE CHECKED THE NUMBERS TO MAKE SURE THEY WERE MINE."

One thing that someone keeps on asking me is if my works are online, particularly as I invest in more and more stalls. My regular reply is that I have a blog, but not really any of my works up there. It's definitely something I'll need to work on - one page for paintings and sketches and another page for costume. I should make it a priority, but it gets hard when I'm really not a photographer.

Also I sold a painting.

Yes, it was the cheapest painting on sale, and yes, it did sell to my boyfriends housemate, and yes, I had no emotional attachment to it, but it sold. When he said he wanted to buy it, and as I watched him exchange money via card for a piece of my soul, I felt like I was going to cry.

The small blue one in the bottom right corner that one. What's more exciting is when I eventually create a gallery, that one will have a lovely "SOLD" across it. (Or in the description, either or.)

Overall, it was a lovely night. After the event ended, my friends shouted me chai. I felt so loved and celebrated and even though the earnings of the painting will pay for approximately one third of my semester, it made me feel like I am succeeding at life.

No comments:

Post a Comment